Can a Miami Car Accident Attorney Handle Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycles, mopeds and scooters can collide with barriers, cars, and other motorcycles just like cars. Some circumstances are unique to motorcycle accidents, though. Riders aren’t protected by large metal frames. So they’re at a higher risk of serious injuries or even death. It may be the victims themselves or their families who call an auto accident attorney through Miami, such Little Havana, South Miami, Coral Gables, Little Haiti, Brickell, Wynwood, Miami Beach and Coconut Grove.
Not every motorcycle accident qualifies for compensation if and when some drivers make mistakes and cause the accident – the same is true for moped and scooter accidents. They may not carry insurance, be speeding or it could be a limited insurance policy that does not cover the full extent of damages caused by the crash so it all depends on the situation. When motorcyclists or scooter riders are unexpectedly hit, victims and their families may also seek compensation under a loss of consortium claim.
Motorcycle riding, or even less powerful scooters, mopeds and golf carts, can be inherently riskier both on the road and trails it can be a recipe for disaster. Even what appears to be a small accident at low speeds can be deadly or disabling.
An Auto Accident Attorney in the Coconut Grove / Brickell Area Can Address Negligence
Motorcycles, mopeds, and scooters are smaller, lighter and often more aerodynamic than cars, so they may go at higher speeds. Even when they are driven safely, this also means motorcycles, mopeds and scooters are easier to unnoticed by other drivers. Also, motorcycles, mopeds and scooters being lighter also means that there is less protection for bodily injury. What does this mean for victims in Miami who come to talk to a car accident attorney near Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, and the Brickell area?
We look at the whole situation. We consider factors such as how fast (if known) the vehicles involved were traveling at the time of the car accident. We also see where and how the vehicles collided. Importantly, we have to ask if the accident could have been avoided by a responsible driver checking a car’s blind spot? Was either driver texting, distracted, or drunk at the time of the accident?
Just like a regular auto accident, a lawyer looks at all the contributing factors including any negligence. Sometimes, insurance companies will take care of all major expenses. Occasionally, victims want to sue the other party for further compensation that the law says they are entitled to. This happens when there was obvious negligence or high medical bills and/or income loss associated with it.
A Car Accident Lawyer in Miami Can Address Higher Risks with Motorcycles
Any time a car accident attorney in Miami takes on a new case, the lawyer has to consider the risks involved with taking the case to trial as opposed to settling beforehand. Other lawyers may try to minimize any negligence or fault by using these things. Whenever you’re on the road, you need to be vigilant to avoid future accidents. These are some important things to consider when on the road:
- Lower Visibility: Scooters, mopeds, golf carts, motorcycles, and even smaller cars like SMART cars, have extra hazards because of less visibility. Cars and others should always signal when turning or changing lanes. You should be extra careful when on a motorcycle, though. Always be prepared for cars to turn unexpectedly or not see you. You aren’t as big as another car or truck.
- Road Hazards: Some bikes are better able to handle debris and bumps in the road. Especially for an inexperienced driver, these little things can become a big problem. A small bump in the road can jolt your bike. If you don’t know how to steer around it, an unexpected piece of debris could cause a serious accident. So practice on clear, straight roads first. Make sure you’re prepared before you take on larger, faster, or busier streets.
- No Barriers between You and the Road: Any time you’re in an accident, there’s no barrier to protect you from the road. You don’t have doors, windshields, etc. You can wear a helmet and the appropriate jacket to prevent road rash and head injuries whenever possible. You’re still likely to end up with more serious injuries.
- Decreased Stability: With two wheels, mopeds, scooters and motorcycles are naturally less stable. Sometimes, this affects your case with an auto accident attorney. If you’re out in inclement weather of any kind, you could be more prone to accidents. This severely increases the likelihood you’ll be involved in an accident.
- High-Risk Behavior: Some drivers are responsible drivers who always watch out for hazards and follow the law. With their small size and powerful motors, though, motorcycle hit higher speeds than mopeds, scooters and golf carts meaning that injury is that much more likely. They can be driven between cars and can cause serious collisions. Especially without proper training, bikers could be at a higher risk without even knowing it.
At Nunez Law, we’d like our clients to be safe and avoid accidents whenever possible. We’re here when you need us to help with your auto and motorcycle accident needs. Just visit our website and let us get started on your case.